WMTC Medical Courses
Online, Hybrid, & Standard Courses in Wilderness Medicine
The Wilderness Medicine Training Center is the only wilderness medicine provider who offers both standard and hybrid courses using teaching and learning strategies that inform one another. The result is a choice of format and pedagogy that meets your needs as an individual or as a sponsoring organization.
- Our standard courses in wilderness medicine combine in-person lecture, skill labs, simulations, and case study reviews into a single course taught at your location or ours.
- Our two-part hybrid courses in wilderness medicine minimize the time spent away from home or work by separating the lecture and practical skills of a standard course into two separate parts. Part 1 is taught completely online via dedicated course websites while the Part 2 practical session focuses on skill labs, simulations, and case study reviews and is taught on-site at your location or ours.
- Our online course in applied anatomy & physiology and wilderness medicine is for those who interested in learning how to care for friends and family in remote locations but do not want or cannot afford, to take an in-person course. It's a perfect course for high school students interested in pursuing a career in medicine as a medic, nurse, PA, or physician.
With the world-wide increase in natural disasters and novel infectious diseases, it's more important now than ever before to have a working knowledge of basic medicine. Register for the Part 1 independent study portion of a hybrid course NOW and register for Part 2, the practical session at the same time or later.
The curricula for all the Wilderness Medicine Training Center courses undergoes annual review and updates based on new research and tested educational strategies.
- Our medical courses use a mechanism of Injury/Illness based pedagogy that facilitates learning, critical thinking under pressure, and accurate field assessment & treatment.
- Over 75% of every medical certification course is hands-on practical skill labs, realistic simulations (many are video taped for enhanced learning), after incident debriefs, and case study reviews.
- Our wilderness medicine courses use a full-sized skeleton and anatomical torso to teach 3-dimensional anatomy & physiology that enables students to accurately visualize the location of—and diagnosis potential problems with—the body's internal organs.
- Our Effective Outdoor Program Design & Management workshops are specifically designed for program directors and staff trainers are taught at national and international conferences annually.
We research, write, test, edit and publish our own books and teaching materials. As such, Wilderness Medicine Training Center students receive the tools they need to develop judgment and critical thinking in challenging field situations.
- All Wilderness Medicine Training Center instructors are professional trip leaders, medical educators, and exceptional people; some live, or have lived, in remote corners of the world. They have been chosen for their field experience, teaching ability, and their presence...and then they complete the most intensive instructor training program in the industry. As a result, we have some of the best instructors in the world.