The curricula for all the Wilderness Medicine Training Center courses undergoes annual review and updates based on new research and tested educational strategies.
- Our medical courses use a mechanism of Injury/Illness based pedagogy that facilitates learning, critical thinking under pressure, and accurate field assessment & treatment.
- Over 75% of every medical course is hands-on practical skill labs, realistic simulations (many are video taped for enhanced learning), after incident debriefs, and case study reviews.
- Our wilderness medicine courses use a full-sized skeleton and anatomical torso to teach 3-dimensional anatomy & physiology that enables students to accurately visualize the location of—and diagnosis potential problems with—the body's internal organs.
- Our Effective Outdoor Program Design & Management workshops are specifically designed for program directors and staff trainers are taught at national and international conferences annually.
We research, write, test, edit and publish our own books and teaching materials. As such, Wilderness Medicine Training Center students receive the tools they need to develop judgment and critical thinking in challenging field situations.
- Full color water-proof print and digital (app) handbooks; for everything you can't remember....
- Weatherproof and digital (app) patient SOAP notes.
- Dedicated websites with videos, animations, and text for each of our hybrid courses.
- Our 65-page risk management text has over 50 graphics, a note sidebar, and was designed specifically for our risk management workshops.
- All Wilderness Medicine Training Center instructors are professional trip leaders, medical educators, and exceptional people. They have been chosen for their field experience, teaching ability, and their presence...and then they complete the most intensive instructor training program in the industry. As a result, we have some of the best instructors in the world.
Standard & Hybrid Courses
The Wilderness Medicine Training Center is the only wilderness medicine provider who offers both standard and hybrid courses using teaching and learning strategies that inform one another. The result is a choice of format and pedagogy that meets your needs as an individual or as a sponsoring organization.
- Our standard courses contain lecture, skill labs, simulations, and case study review taught on site at your location or ours.
- Our hybrid courses require completion of our home study program and online exam(s) prior to attending a practical session taught on site at your location our ours.
Courses in English, Spanish, & Japanese
Both standard and hybrid courses are offered in English and Japanese; standard courses are offered in Spanish.