WMTC Medical Courses
Hybrid & Standard Certification Courses in Wilderness Medicine
and Non-certification Courses in Remote First Aid
The Wilderness Medicine Training Center is the only wilderness medicine provider who offers both standard and hybrid courses using teaching and learning strategies that inform one another. The result is a choice of format and pedagogy that meets your needs as an individual or as a sponsoring organization.
- Our standard certification courses in wilderness medicine contain lecture, skill labs, simulations, and case study reviews taught in-person at your location or ours.
- Our two-part hybrid certification courses in wilderness medicine require completion of our online independent study program—including online exams—before attending an in-person practical session taught on-site at your location or ours.
- Our non-certification home-study course in remote first aid is for those who interested in learning how to care for friends and family in remote locations but do not want or cannot afford to travel, to take an in-person course.
The curricula for all the Wilderness Medicine Training Center courses undergoes annual review and updates based on new research and tested educational strategies.
- Our medical courses use a mechanism of Injury/Illness based pedagogy that facilitates learning, critical thinking under pressure, and accurate field assessment & treatment.
- Over 75% of every medical certification course is hands-on practical skill labs, realistic simulations (many are video taped for enhanced learning), after incident debriefs, and case study reviews.
- Our wilderness medicine courses use a full-sized skeleton and anatomical torso to teach 3-dimensional anatomy & physiology that enables students to accurately visualize the location of—and diagnosis potential problems with—the body's internal organs.
- Our Effective Outdoor Program Design & Management workshops are specifically designed for program directors and staff trainers are taught at national and international conferences annually.
We research, write, test, edit and publish our own books and teaching materials. As such, Wilderness Medicine Training Center students receive the tools they need to develop judgment and critical thinking in challenging field situations.
- Full color water-proof print and digital (app) handbooks; for everything you can't remember....
- Weatherproof and digital (app) patient SOAP notes.
- Dedicated websites with videos, animations, and text for each of our hybrid courses.
- Our 65-page risk management text has over 50 graphics, a note sidebar, and was designed specifically for our risk management workshops.
- All Wilderness Medicine Training Center instructors are professional trip leaders, medical educators, and exceptional people; some live, or have lived, in remote corners of the world. They have been chosen for their field experience, teaching ability, and their presence...and then they complete the most intensive instructor training program in the industry. As a result, we have some of the best instructors in the world.